Friday, March 5, 2010

The Quest for the Perfect Square Loaf



The bread season is in!

Here's a chronicle of my journey towards getting a perfect loaf. This didn't just come by a quick shot at bread making. After three tries, I've never felt so satisfied with my efforts. Allow me to be nostalgic - this loaf reminds me of the bread we used to get from Baker's Delight in Melbourne.

It all started with the hot, humid weather we've been getting the last few weeks. The heat seem to beckon some dough that's dying to rise. And so I took out Alex Goh's colourful book, "The World of Bread" and flipped through its pages. What caught my eye was the Cheese Loaf recipe that seemed uncomplicated and well, I had cheese in the fridge, too.


And that was just the beginning.

Then I decided to remove the cheese from the recipe and create a loaf that you could dip curry into. So here is the same loaf, without the cheese. The longer loaf was baked in a silicon bread pan, while the shorter one in a teflon pan.

With this success, I decided to venture into the wholemeal world. I found a simple wholemeal loaf recipe from a blog that i frequently visit and from here my confidence in bread making grew.

Then I dreamed about making square loaves of wholemeal bread. A friend loaned me her pullman tin and to cut the long tedious story short, we had this for breakfast today.



No comments: